Have you filled out the US Census yet? Deadline Sept. 30, 2020!
September, 24 2020
Participating in the census impacts how much federal funding is sent to cities and states for programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, schools and Head Start, highway planning and construction, and nutrition and housing assistance for low-income families. Here are some reasons why the census matters, particularly in Detroit:
Without Census data from Detroit:
- Less money for critical services: Detroit will lose $18,000 in services for every person who doesn’t fill out the Census
- Loss of political power: Detroit risks losing 1 seat in Congress
- Fewer counted = less Federal $, including school lunches
- No form = no record of your family history in Detroit
The Census is Safe & Confidential
- The federal government cannot share the information collected with any other agency including ICE or the IRS.
- Confidential - takes 10 minutes
- Can fill out online or over the phone - in English or en Español
The deadline to complete the 2020 Census is September 30, 2020. Residents can complete the Census right from their home by going online to my2020census.gov, calling (844) 330-2020 (English), calling (844) 468-2020 (Spanish), or by completing the form that was mailed to their home.